Thursday, April 23, 2009

Gurney rangling & wild rides

What a trip... I shot the episode of In Plain Sight on Monday. It was really fun... I am a perfectionist and always feel that I could/should have done better. The experience of working at high speed navigating a gurney around two corners and through two sets of double doors while talking in a doctor like fashion was the most valuable exercise. Nothing can prepare one for that except experience. Which I now have! The cast and crew were great. It will air in a couple of weeks, so I'll let you know!

The biggest lesson learned was again about concentration and focus. When that is in place, all the bits and pieces can fall where they may. My performance will have a level of professionalism that is sustainable and leads to more work.

Now here's the greatest challenge... overcoming the mental stuff that wants me to believe that I don't really want to do this "acting thing." It's the voice that made me quit two or three times before. It's the voice of low self esteem that has in the past succeeded in getting me distracted. The distraction manifests as the sudden overwhelming need to start another career, or eat cookies and drink caffeinated beverages. Which would in turn create anxiety and prove to me that I am not cut out for this business. I am grateful to have a really amazing support group that I can express the fears of inadequacy to and move on. Quitting is not an option this time.

I did succumb to a part of a fruit tart and some real ice tea and what a surprise, I was total mess at the end of the night. Another lesson learned. That's small potatoes compared to where we could have gone, yes?

Looking forward... audition today for a movie. Teaching a lot of workshops and getting great creativity coaching clients on board...and its Spring. So beautiful.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your renewed acting career! Can't wait to see the episode when it airs.

    I just read your comment on Deonne's blog, and I'm sorry to hear that you and John will be selling your house near Taos. I hope we'll still see you now and then--please feel free to visit us anytime we're in town (we have an extra bedroom, too).

    Maybe we'll meet up in ABQ one of these days...

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'd love to see you! We're playing Taos Plaza Live on June 4th - will you be around?
    V

    ReplyDelete
  3. We won't be in Taos until June 26, so we'll miss your June 4th show--darn!!! But let us know if you'll be coming back to Taos again before Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete