Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Art of Breathing In...

The first acting class I ever went to was in Carmel Valley, CA. A former teacher at the American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco was giving a one day workshop at a community center there. I think it was 1986. I had been doing a show at the Forest Theater in Carmel and had fallen head over heels in love with the intense concentration of acting. I was managing the Pebble Beach Equestrian Center at the time and would go to my rehearsals sometimes straight from work in my riding boots.

The class was amazing. The first experience I had ever had that allowed me to explore my inner world. One of his instructions, (I wish I could remember his name... it was long and I think French?) was to breathe deeply. After a couple of rounds he stopped everyone and said "Breathing deeply isn't just about breathing out. You all need to learn how to breathe in as deeply as you breathe out."

I share this with you today because of my continued fascination with the concentration of acting, and that, after many years I think I have finally learned how to breathe in...

My wonderful agent Lynette O'Connor (O'Agency) called last night at 7:30 to let me know that I was still in the running for a part on IPS that was being written in and out by the hour. It was actually for the part of the Doctor, that I originally prepared as reported in my last post. The table read is today so my guess is that it went either to the other actor they were considering or it was written out for good...

What this has to do with Breathing In, you ask... in meditation, breathing in is what stokes the fires of spiritual connection. It is the breath of inspiration and the ability to receive the gifts that the universe has in store for us. Abraham/Hicks talks about breathing in, knowing that my emotional escrow of joy and success is there, essentially collecting compound interest. Upon the long, slow, deliscious breath in... I know that it is only a matter of recognizing my successful actor career as witnessed by many bookings... on breathing out I send gratitude for all that I have and all that I have that I can not see as yet. Breathing in allows me to clear my vision, and stay alive in the mystery that we really never know what's around the next corner, or what's going on behind closed doors...

1 comment:

  1. I should have known you were a fellow Abrahamster. Huge congratulations, Viv!

    ReplyDelete