Saturday, January 16, 2010

Will you still love me when I'm 64

I am taking a workshop this weekend that is really great. Chris Cuilla and Chadwick Struck are leading a really practical approach to building and maintaining a career as an actor in the regional markets here in Albuquerque as well as in Los Angeles. Its a lot of information and its really great to go over the nuts and bolts of the biz. Chris talks about reasonable goal setting and Chadwick will be auditioning us tomorrow and giving feedback. Its a great workshop and I highly recommend it.

For Christmas I received a book from my step - father that I swear, if it had been written before 2000 I would never have left New York on my wild tangent that took me to New Mexico.
(But then again, if I hadn't have done that I wouldn't have met my beloved husband, nor would I have my own syndicated public radio show on over 225 stations nationwide... so some tangents are fruitful. But I digress...again)

This book is called Working on the Inside: The Spiritual Life through the Eyes of Actors

If this had been available I would not have left the business for 7 years. The book interviews artists like Liam Neeson, Kristin Chenoweth, Phylicia Rashad and more about the way they balance their lives as working actors.

You see, the craft of acting is a creative path and a spiritual path for me. It has all the same components of ritual, silence, listening, transcendence (one hopes) and communion with something mysterious and complete. The book is giving me reason to hope that I'll be celebrating my 65 birthday with a really solid imdb page of credits and a deep sense of satisfaction of a career well balanced with life.

2 comments:

  1. I for one am glad you came to New Mexico, Viv. The Land of Enchantment has benefited from this particular wild tangent and so have the loyal listeners of "Art of the Song" across America. You have every reason to be proud of what you've accomplished here.

    For most of us our 50's are about transitions, changes and growth. Welcome to the club. The good news is, you've still got many years ahead in which to establish yourself as a famous and respected actress in addition to the other great things you've already achieved.

    I'm glad you took Horace Greeley's sexist advice to, "Go west, young woman." You GO, Girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete